Building Inspections and Zoning Administration

The City currently contracts the Building Inspection services with the County of Gratiot. Building permits are required for new construction and remodeling, including roofs.

Residents and/or contractors must first obtain zoning approval from the City.  Once approved the County Inspector will be able to issue the building permit. Zoning Applications are needed for home improvement projects such as new additions, decks, garages, any type of storage shed or fencing.

Zoning applications can be obtained by clicking on the pdf. below or are available at City Hall.

*All approvals and permits must be acquired before the start of any work.

If you have a project that involves ground breaking, an Excavation Permit must be obtained from the City Hall. This includes projects such as sidewalk construction/repair, water or sewer line repair etc.
Excavation work as defined by City Zoning Ordinance Section 4.18 is grading, stripping, excavating, filling or earth change. Permit pricing is based on the project cost.

~Click on the image to enlarge~

~City Ordinance & Zoning~

Excavation & Utility Permits

Excavation work as defined by City Zoning Ordinance Section 4.18, grading, stripping, excavating, filling or earth change, requires a permit in the City of Ithaca.

To obtain the proper permit, contact City Hall prior to the project start.

Also, remember to call Miss Dig before you dig to protect underground utilities and yourself! The number to call is 811.

State of Michigan Permits

Permits are required by the State of Michigan for Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical work.  The permit forms are available below and more information may be obtain at .

These permit forms are sent in to the State of Michigan and not to the City of Ithaca.

Rental Housing Program

The City of Ithaca has a Rental Housing program.  Owners of rental properties are required each year to register each rental unit. A rental license is also required. Rental units must comply with the International Property Maintenance Code. A rental license cost $40 for single units and $5 for each additional unit in the same building.

To get a rental license application call 989-875-3200 or download and print the pdf.